Skip to main content

Where in the hell did a month go? I can't believe my last post was on April 9th. If you read that post, then you know the last words I typed were "Still hiding". Well, I can honestly say that over this past month, I've been doing anything but hide.

Since April was Sexual Abuse Awareness month, I decided that it was time to be vulnerable and finally speak up. I created a post and put it on my Instagram, Facebook Business and personal pages. I literally was shaking as I hit the post button, but nothing was to prepare me for what was to come.

I started getting responses from others, sharing that they too, had been abused or assaulted. That they had been suffering from years of guilt. That they too were planning on finally getting help. Most of the people who responded, were people I knew, some since childhood. I can't even begin to describe the wave of emotions that came over me. There was an initial amount of sadness for the innocence lost, but there was equally rage and anger that so many others had gone through such a traumatic experience. I realized that I had done the right thing in sharing and maybe, just maybe, some real healing might begin to take place.

So tomorrow is my first therapy session. Not quite sure how this is going to go and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit nervous/anxious, but I am just going to go in with an open mind and let the work and the healing begin. I've been to therapy before, but not for this.

I know you all want to know what happens next in my story. I promise, I will get there. But for now, if you only take one thing from today, let it be that keeping things to ourselves and trying to go it alone or pretend it never happened is not a good idea. Talking about it, sharing, writing it down...all these things help to take the power out of the traumatic event(s), and once you start deflating that power, the healing begins.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the grooming begin

 This past month has been quite the eye opener. Since my last post I have seen my new therapist twice. I like him. I think he was a little shocked when I gave him the short version of my crazy life, but it was also very helpful. I'm doing two group therapy sessions each week. One is for PTSD skills and the other is for Depression. Not gonna lie, I hate online classes of any kind. It's just weird because no one has their cameras on. Feels very impersonal. My therapist recommended that I concentrate my efforts on what is being taught and not so much on the environment. Good advice! Well enough of that, where did I leave off? Oh yeah, the neighbors moved away. They literally moved the entire mobile home out of the space and that was it, they were gone. It wasn't that long after that a new mobile home was moved into the space and a married couple moved in. They didn't have any children, but they were very friendly. The summer after they moved in, their niece came to visit.

Day 2 Is anybody out there?

 By the way, did I mention I hate waiting? Didn’t hear back from anyone today. Seriously having an argument with myself about whether or not I should contact them tomorrow. I guess I’ll give them one more day, then I am contacting them. Honestly, I bet they’re really busy. I should have patience but anyone who knows me knows that’s not one of my strong suits. Have you figured out what’s going on yet? I keep debating on whether or not I should give you more details. I think what it comes down to is that I’m still procrastinating. For some reason I think it’ll be easier once I’ve gotten the phone call. OK, I’m going to give it one more day and no matter what, I’ll start sharing my story. Damn, this isn’t going to be easy.

You gotta start somewhere

So I did a thing today. It’s been a long time coming, but I know I’ll never mend if I keep going on as I have. God,  it was so hard dialing the phone number. I literally made  myself physically ill; my stomach was in knots, I kept having to use the restroom, and I had no appetite. But that wasn’t even the worst of it. The old feelings of anxiety we’re trying so hard to rise to the surface. I hate fucking anxiety!  As soon as the person answered, I knew there was no going back; I had to move forward. Of course, after almost 15 minutes waiting on hold, I find out that I needed to send an email. I have to admit, I did consider ditching the whole idea, but I put my big girl  panties on and I wrote the damn thing. Man, I really hated seeing it staring back at me in black and white, but I hit “send”.  I got a response pretty quick. It was pretty cool that they recognized how hard it must have been for me to write the email and they assured me that they would forward my request to the right p